Reah's Blog | Education, Language, Technology

Filipinos Getting US Tourist Visa | Philippine Passport Holders

By on Jun 8, 2011 in Travel | 241 comments

Share On GoogleShare On FacebookShare On Twitter

The Philippines is not included in the Visa Waiver Program of the United States. Thus, Filipinos who hold Philippine Passports are required to apply for a Tourist Visa to enter the US. Below are my answers to some questions frequently asked when Filipinos want to travel to the US.

1) What is the probability for a Filipino to get a U.S. Tourist Visa / Visitor Visa?

Filipinos’ chances to get a tourist visa for the US vary from one person to another. Filipinos need to prove during the application and interview process that they will not become a burden once they arrive in the United States, have good intent, and will travel back to the Philippines. The consuls will approve the visas or not based on the applicant’s situation, documents presented, and answers during the interview. There are even some circumstances that the they will deny the application without the interview process.

2.) What documents do I need to prepare for my application?

You need to fill out the form for non-immigrant visa application, a valid passport, and one(1) 2×2 photo. Aside from these, you need to provide:

Remember: The documents vary from one applicant to another, so just think of what documents you can show that you have good intentions and will plan to go back to the Philippines or your current country of residence.

3) Does it look bad if someone else pays the Visa fee for them?
I don’t think so. My then-fiancee, now my husband, paid for my visa fee. But this can still be a case-to-case basis.

4) If I did acquire the U.S. Visa, what would be the length of time I would likely be granted to stay in America?

There are different types of visas and length of time depends on the visa you applied for. My visa to get to US was Fiance/e Visa, and this allowed me to stay in US for 90 days to get married. Other type of visas are B-2 Tourist Visa and B-1 Business Visa which both allow holders to stay up to 6 months.

5) Is it better or worse to send a letter of invite for that person to present while interviewing for the Visa?

Sending documents with your application and during the interview that support your reasons for going to the US is always advisable. During the interview, only present these documents when asked.

6.) I just want to travel to Hawaii, do I need to still apply for a Tourist Visa?

Hawaii is one of the 50 states of the United States; although it is an island away from the main land, same rules apply, you need to apply for a visitor visa.  Same rules when you wish to travel to Guam and Puerto Rico since these are territories of the United States.

7.) Where else can I get more information about Tourist visas for entry to the United States?

Check the pages of frequently asked questions in the website of US Embassy in Manila and in the US Travel State website.


    • Eden Calagui

      April 14, 2015

      Post a Reply

      hi, thank you for your very wonderful and informative post. Id like to ask what are my chances of being approved of a tourist visa to the US. here’s my dilemma:

      i am married to a Filipino but we have not been together since 2007., will it look bad if the person i’m visiting is my boyfriend who is a american citizen? i cannot apply for fiance visa because i’m still legally married. He also would like to sponsor my son for the whole visit. (son coming with me is only optional, though). or will it be more likely that i will be granted visit visa if i’m visiting with my so?

      i’m afraid they will assume i will not come back here in Manila, and assume i’m going to live together with my boyfriend, even without an annulment.

      whats ur best advise on my situation? Thank you very very much in advance, sis.. I will highly appreciate your reply..

  1. When you are in journey of an real look, then replica breitling watches could be the most outstanding replacement for you indisputably. You could look for various fee ideas and shipping selections so that you have the best replica montblanc watches as quickly you want.So you can via the internet stores aid you to decide on with a pretty huge cheap replica louis vuitton handbags and in most cases have several items for a similar goods on top of that. Most on-line purchasing sites have got a substantial of top quality replica hublot watches on deal.If you are in the road, you will recognize that just about any folks wear a best replica rolex watch .

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *